Stop by the museum gift shop for unique, locally-made and/or locally-focused items for everyone on your list. You will find books, mugs, coasters, cards, limestone souvenirs, handbags, aprons, doll clothes, and lots more. Prices are reasonable and 100% of the profits go to the museum.
“Brain games”was held May 22, 24, 29 and 31at Little Theatre of Bedford.
“Brain games May 2018”—AND THE WINNER IS…. click to see who won the adult Brain Games competition this year.
The Historical and Genealogical Society meeting
- Second Monday of each month in the Meeting Room, Lawrence County Museum of History
- 6:30 p.m.—Business meeting—open to everyone
- 7:00 p.m.—Speaker's program: Speaker and topics change each month. These public events are free and available for everyone to enjoy.
2018 Visiting speaker program, 7 p.m.—Second Monday of each month.
- July 9, 2018, at 7 p.m—Steve Grissom, "My cousin, Gus (Grissom)"
- Aug. 13, 2018, at 7 p.m—to be announced
- Sept. 10, 2018, at 7 p.m—Clay Stuckey, "A Pictorial History of the West Baden Springs Hotel "
- Oct. 8, 2018, at 7 p.m—Randy and Roxanne Mills, “Summer Wind: Indiana Soldier Dick Wolfe in Vietnam”
- Nov. 12, 2018, at 7 p.m—to be announced.
- Dec. 10, 2018, at 7 p.m—Volunteer appreciation dinner—details to be announced.
Earlier in 2018:
- Jan. 8, 2018—Rex Knight, Pearl Harbor.
- Feb. 12, 2018—Vicky Haralovich, Cave River Valley Park. Vicky will have copies of the book she co-wrote with Michele Dutcher, Cave River Valley Park, for sale, and she will gladly autograph them.
- March 12, 2018 at 7 p.m—Mike Harkness of Orange County Paranormal, “Exploring History Through Paranormal Evidence.”
- April 9, 2018 at 7 p.m—Eric Sandweiss, Professor and Carmony Chair of History, Editor, Indiana Magazine of History, Indiana University, “Indiana and its Historic Landscapes.”
- May 14, 2018, at 7 p.m—Marla Jones, “Lawrence County Bicentennial Celebration.”
- June 11, 2018, at 7 p.m—Peggy Julian, “The Vanderbilts and Bedford Limestone.” (video recording available soon)
Many of the programs are recorded and made available on Vimeo by the Star Station at Bedford North Lawrence High School. See the available programs by clicking on the appropriate year of speaker programs above.
Other presentations can be accessed at: https://vimeo.com/groups/178841
Watch Marla Jones and Rowena Cross-Najafi discuss what that means here in Lawrence County—The Star Station presentation can be viewed at any time: http://vimeo.com/m/94877599
Indiana History Project
- Sisters of St. Benedict: Click to watch the program.
- 2014: Civil War: Rowena Cross-Najafi interviews gallery coordinator Becky Buher about the “Letters Home” exhibit. Click to watch the program.
- Host Norm Taylor talks with Larry King of the Lawrence County Museum about "Things That are Disappearing from our Lives" http://vimeo.com/43061067
The Friends of the Museum are having an ongoing used book sale in the meeting room of the museum. Books are priced from $0.50 to $2.00 and all funds raised go to support the museum. There are many books to choose from including current fiction novels, romance, history, sports and children's books.
Do you know of a history or heritage focused event going on in or around Lawrence County? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll add it here.