Stop by the museum gift shop for unique, locally-made and/or locally-focused items for everyone on your list. We’ve got books, mugs, coasters, cards, limestone souvenirs, handbags, aprons, doll clothes, and lots more. Prices are reasonable and 100% of the profits go to the museum.
Among the Christmas decorations: Exhibited in the two front windows—Christmas at the Train Station, and A Log Cabin Christmas.
The Historical and Genealogical Society meeting
- Second Monday of each month in the Meeting Room, Lawrence County Museum of History
- 6:30 p.m.—Business meeting—open to everyone
- 7:00 p.m.—Speaker's program: Speaker and topics change each month. These public events are free and available for everyone to enjoy.
2018 Visiting speaker program, 7 p.m.—Second Monday of each month.
- Jan. 8, 2018—Rex Knight, "Pearl Harbor."
- Feb. 12, 2018—Vicky Haralovich, "Cave River Valley Park."
- March 12, 2018—to be announced.
- April 9, 2018—to be announced.
- May 14, 2018—to be announced.
- June 11, 2018—to be announced.
- July 9, 2018—to be announced.
- Aug. 13, 2018—to be announced.
- Sept. 10, 2018—to be announced.
- Oct. 8, 2018—to be announced.
- Nov. 12, 2018—to be announced.
- Dec. 10, 2018—Volunteer appreciation dinner—details to be announced.
Jan. 9, 2017—Angie Timan, "Rosie the Riveter and the World War II Home Front."
Feb. 13, 2017—Emily Engstrom and Rowena Cross-Najafi, "New Discoveries in Lawrence County African-American History."
- March 13, 2017—Clay Stuckey, "Limestone Mills of Lawrence County Prior to 1950."
Recording now available: https://vimeo.com/209622961
- April 10, 2017—Robert Henderson, Clerk-Treasurer of the Town of Orleans, “Historic Orleans Indiana.”
- May 8, 2017 at 7 p.m. —Robert Brummett, "Lawrence County History in Pictures." (vimeo recording coming soon)
- June 12, 2017—Mike Shannon, "History of Rock and Roll."
- July 10, 2017 at 7 p.m. —Dave Nord, "Rivers, Roads, and Rails: Mapping the Transportation History of Spring Mill and Lawrence County."
- August 14 at 7 p.m.—Karen Schwartz, President, Historical Society of Harrison County, "Finding Indiana"
- September 11, Clay Stuckey, “The Monon Railroad in Lawrence County.”
- October 9, John Williams, former Mayor of Bedford, “Williams Family History.”
- November 13, Danny Taylor, “History of Garvey Lane.”
- December 11, Volunteer Appreciation Dinner. Volunteers, board members and staff enjoyed a time of good food and good friends. Donna Brumbaugh provided the food for a wonderful meal.
- Jan. 11—(program cancelled due to inclement weather)
- Feb. 8—Panel discussion by local African Americans: "Lawrence County Memories."
- March 14—Stephen and Kim Fields, "The American Frontier Flintlock Hunting Rifle and its Accoutrements."
- April 11—Carole Anderson, "Glover Family History."
- May 9—Andie Redwine: "History of the Mitchell Opera House."
- June 13—Ron Bell, “Our Hoosier Heritage and Its Foundation, 1680-1820” (video presentation plus Q&A)
- July 11—Carol Faenzi, "The Stonecutter's Aria." The presentation is being sponsored by Elliott Stone Co. Inc.
- Aug. 8—Peggy Julian, “The World War II History of NAD Crane”
- Sept. 12—Diane Hunter and Doug Peconge, "The Miami Tribe Past and Present."
If you missed this program, thanks to Maria Edwards, it is now available online at: https://vimeo.com/18314234
- Oct. 10—Chief Boatswains Mate Travis Sanders, USCG retired, "History of the Coast Guard."
- Nov. 14—Lee Hutchinson, "Through the Flak and Back: A World War II Bombing Mission." Now available for viewing at: https://vimeo.com/191861504
If you would be interested in speaking at a meeting on a topic of historical interest, or sponsoring a meeting, please e-mail Rowena Cross Najafi at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Many of the past programs are available online. Click on the links below to see topics and view past presentations.
Many of the programs are recorded and made available on Vimeo by the Star Station at Bedford North Lawrence High School. See the available programs by clicking on the appropriate year of speaker programs above.
Other presentations can be accessed at: https://vimeo.com/groups/178841
Watch Marla Jones and Rowena Cross-Najafi discuss what that means here in Lawrence County—The Star Station presentation can be viewed at any time: http://vimeo.com/m/94877599
Indiana History Project
- Sisters of St. Benedict: Click to watch the program.
- 2014: Civil War: Rowena Cross-Najafi interviews gallery coordinator Becky Buher about the “Letters Home” exhibit. Click to watch the program.
- Host Norm Taylor talks with Larry King of the Lawrence County Museum about "Things That are Disappearing from our Lives" http://vimeo.com/43061067
The Friends of the Museum are having an ongoing used book sale in the meeting room of the museum. Books are priced from $0.50 to $2.00 and all funds raised go to support the museum. There are many books to choose from including current fiction novels, romance, history, sports and children's books.
Do you know of a history or heritage focused event going on in or around Lawrence County? Please email us at email@example.com, and we'll add it here.